The Centre for Student Management is a Unit that offers academic and psychosocial support to students in their passage through University. Such support assists students to successfully select a programme of study and get engaged in the learning process.
The Centre for Student management has an office at each of the ten (10) Zimbabwe Open University Regional Campuses. The Offices at the Regional Campuses are run by a Student Advisors who report to the Manager, Centre for Student Management.
Students actively participate in activities and processes related to their learning. Their views are represented through the Student Representative Council.
THE CENTRE FOR STUDENT MANAGEMENT STRIVES TO FULFILL THE FOLLOWING ROLES
- Provide counseling and advisory services to individual students or groups of students on academic and psychosocial issues that affect their learning through face to face, telephone or via WhatsApp chat groups.
- Offer Career Guidance and Advisement on choice of programmes, course selection and exemption on courses.
- Provides pre-entry and in-university services on study programmes
- Monitor student enrolment, retention and dropout rates
- Provides input on student retention strategies.
- Equip Students with Study and Examination Preparation Skills
- Carry out study skills training sessions with groups of students.
- Provide individual counseling and advisory services to student with specific enquiries to do with study skills, time management and examination preparation.
- Facilitate appropriate arrangements for assignment and examinations for students with special learning needs
- Participate and input in learning materials production to ensure that learner needs are taken into consideration
- Advise on appropriate and valid assessment procedures for student with specific challenges
- Assess adequacy and appropriateness of special examination considerations and arrangement for students requiring the arrangements.
- To ensure students are adequately oriented to major operations of the University
THE CENTRE FOR STUDENT MANAGEMENT CO-ORDINATES STUDENT REPRESENTATIVE COUNCIL ACTIVITIES (SRC)
- Makes arrangements for SRC to attend meetings with the University authorities
- Such as Student Affairs Committee, Senate Meetings, Students Disciplinary Hearings among others.
- Facilitating the conducting of free and fair Student Representative Council Elections
- Makes arrangements for the orientation of the SRC so that they can execute their mandate efficiently
- Creates chat platforms to enable effective communication between students and the University authorities to facilitate speedy and amicable resolution of student concerns.
- Co-ordinates sporting and cultural activities, among them, The Vice Chancellor’s Games, Choral music & Dance, Debate & Public Speaking