To be a world-class support system that provides library and information services in a distance-learning environment by 2014 to distance learners and academic staff.
To acquire, organize, disseminate and facilitate equitable access to decentralised, relevant and appropriate information resources and services that support the teaching, learning, research and community needs of ZOU distance learners, tutors and researchers.
- To harness print and electronic-based information resources that support the teaching, learning and research needs of the Zimbabwe Open University distance learners and academic staff.
- To approve the acquisition of all selected materials for inclusion in the collection.
- To carry out bibliographic verification and searching on all materials selected for ordering.
- To place orders for approved suggested orders.
- To select local and international suppliers of good repute who are most beneficial to the University in terms of reasonable purchase prices, availability of materials, high speed of delivery and high quality of service.
- To receive and quickly process supplied materials.
- To procure library materials through exchange agreements.