Applications are invited from suitably qualified, experienced and highly motivated professionals who wish to fill the post of Dean in any of the two (2) Faculties shown below.
POST A. DEAN, FACULTY OF SCIENCE
POST B. DEAN, FACULTY OF TECHNOLOGY
The post of Dean is a strategic position which requires a person of high personal and professional integrity, with a distinguished leadership record.
Deans are responsible for the overall management of the day to day operations of their Faculties. They report to the Pro-Vice Chancellor, Academic Affairs.
The appointments will be for a four (4) year contract period which may be renewed on the basis of performance.
- Participating in the formulation, implementation and evaluation of the academic policies of the University;
- Positioning the Faculty within the national higher education policy and transformation as well as introducing STEM related programmes;
- Overall planning, development, renewal and changing of academic programmes to ensure meaningful academic outcomes, quality, effectiveness and financial viability as well as obtaining the necessary approval of the Faculty Board, the Teaching and Learning Committee and Senate;
- Leading the Faculty in initiating effective open and distance learning (ODL) delivery systems and e-learning pedagogy;
- Providing academic leadership in the areas of teaching, learning, innovation and ODL materials development;
- Setting up the necessary structures that will ensure that the research in the Faculty is relevant and of high quality in line with the University’s research policy;
- Initiating and promoting ethically accountable quality research and increasing research output including patents and copyright;
- Establishing a sound culture of innovation and commercialisation in the Faculty;
- Promoting the University’s wide initiatives;
- Developing a sense of community for the Faculty students, academic and support staff;
- Mobilising resources for the Faculty and University;
- Marketing the Faculty nationally, regionally and internationally;
- Developing intra and inter Faculty interfaces to enable programme horizontal and vertical articulation to multi-skill students;
- Ensuring that departments in the Faculty engage in research projects to contribute to new knowledge experience in the area of open and distance education and as part of service to the community;
- Creating and maintaining linkages and relationships with external stakeholders ie. Industry and commerce, professional boards etc. for the benefit of students, staff and the University as a whole;
- Fostering and maintaining sound personal and professional relationships among the members of staff and between staff and clients;
- Periodic reporting on the activities of the Faculty as well as usage of facilities and financial resources;
- Undertaking any other duties as may be assigned by the Pro-Vice Chancellor, Academic Affairs.
- A minimum of an earned doctorate in a pure science discipline such as Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology or any closely related field;
- Professorship in any of the disciplines related to pure sciences would be an added advantage;
- A minimum of an earned doctorate in a Technology related discipline such as Information Technology, Computer Science, Software Engineering, Food Processing Technology, Biotechnology, Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering Technology, Polymer Technology or any closely related field;
- Professorship in any of the areas indicated in (B) 1. above or closely related field, would be an added advantage;
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE FOR ALL THE ABOVE POSTS
Candidates should have the following;
- At least three (3) years relevant work experience;
- A minimum of two (2) years relevant experience in a supervisory/management position;
- Knowledge and experience of Open and Distance Learning would be an added advantage.
ATTRIBUTES AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Ability to introduce and supervise STEM related programmes;
- Ability to grow the University through increasing student numbers in the Faculty programmes
- Strong academic leadership skills;
- Excellent communication and organisational skills;
- Ability to fundraise and mobilise resources;
- Practical innovation skills;
- Analytical and critical thinking skills;
- People management, empathy, managing relationships and conflict resolution skills;
- Negotiating, persuading and influencing, networking and teamwork;
- Ability to motivate and mentor staff and students.
Candidates who do not have the stipulated requirements need not apply.
Interested and qualified persons should submit eight (8) sets each consisting of the application letter, certified educational and professional certificates, Curriculum Vitae, contact telephone numbers and names of at least three (3) referees. All envelopes should clearly indicate the post being applied for. Applications should be received not later 10 November 2018. Applications should be addressed to:
The Director, Human Resources
Zimbabwe Open University or Hand delivered to:
P O Box MP 1119 3rd Floor, Corner House
Mount Pleasant Corner Leopold Takawira Street and Samora
Harare Machel Avenue Harare
NB. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted