Zimbabwe has a growing Information and Communications industry. The sustained growth of that sector is among other issues reliant on human capital development. Currently this industry is serviced by graduates from conventional universities, technical colleges and polytechnics. The Faculty of Technology exists to empower students with relevant skills to meet these industrial challenges and needs through open distance learning pedagogies.
Today, the computing field has grown into a number of distinct bodies of knowledge. These include Information Technology, Information Systems, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering and many other variations.
Information Technology (IT) as a body of knowledge requires specialised training and orientation. Today there is a glaring training gap in the information and communication technologies industry. Most universities are offering Computer Science.
“To be a renowned world class centre of academic and technological excellence in Information, communication and multimedia technologies (ICMT)”
“To develop high quality human capital, innovation and services in ICMT that will contribute to the nation’s wealth creation”
To be a premier Institute of Higher Learning in ICMT.
The following are the objectives of the Faculty:
- Produce excellent IT Professionals and graduates to fulfill the need of IT industry, particularly for the Multimedia, software Engineering and Cyber technologies
- Promote activities and efforts towards internationalisation of the Faculty
- Increase research and consultancy activities which are focused, relevant and of high quality
- Develop specialised programmes to promote IT culture in society
- Increase activities to promote innovation, commercialisation and entrepreneurship in the field of software and content development.
- Develop and implement ICMT quality management concepts for the Faculty and society
The general entry requirement is that a candidate must have a minimum of 5 ‘O’ level passes including English Language, Mathematics and one Science subject at Grade C or better, or a Diploma or a Certificate in Agriculture from a recognized institution or ‘A’ level passes in Science subjects.
Special Entry Requirement
Other qualifications and relevant work experience can be considered for mature entry.
Programme Delivery Strategies
Since our programmes are through ODL route, the delivery is through modules, vacation school, weekend tutorials, DVDs and other strategies.